Saturday, December 5, 2009

"Because I said so"

It's amazing how much we inherit the methods or traits we were raised with. One thing I find myself saying all too often at work with the ever disobedient little children, is "because I said do." I hated this phrase when I was growing up, simply told to me just because my parents could, when I always desired an explanation for it. These kids are just like I was, actually still am at times. I know I always want to know "why" even from God, whom shouldn't have to be demanded for an explanation, and yet these questions still linger sometimes. He has told us that "As many as are led by the Spirit of God, are the sons of God. For we did not receive the spirit of bondage to fear, but the Spirit of adoption..He bears witness that we are children of God, and then so heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ." We are not bound to live a life of fear of anything, as we've been given something greater than we know.


This inheritance is a great treasure, and yet we are now responsible to answer to our God. As Job went through trials, he threw a fit of anguish yet praised the Lord through His pain and quandry; this must also be our answer. And as Romans says "But indeed, O man, who are you to reply against God? Will the thing formed say to him who formed it, "Why have you made me like this?" Does not the Potter have the power over the clay..?"


We were adopted as sons, as many kids in this world need so badly, with the lack of necessary guidance. As it is with God, we need this greater authority, while we are much better off with it, and lead much straighter lives. So then, we accept the implications of His rule.

Tim Keller said in a message I recently heard, that when Christ leads our life, there are two implications; He always demands more from us than we expected, and yet also always returns much more than we ever expected. This is how we grow. In almost anything we strive for we must give of ourselves to reap positive return. This world is a paradoxical place; pain is gain, giving is more blessed than to receive, etc.

At work I constantly break up fights and fits of rage, take fists in the face, and separate buddies from provoking one another to disregard my word; (keep in mind these are preschoolers). And although they don't like me for the moment, I do what I do because I do know better than them, can simply tell them "because I said so," and they have to learn to trust my authority.

Hopefully we too, will learn to accept this discipline in life when it comes from God our authority who is much more adequate to deliver it:) God disciplines those He loves, His Word says, and another thing I heard from Kellar I believe resonates with all; that the real Jesus should, and will disturb you. He pushes us beyonds limits we never knew were there.

Does Jesus disturb you? Because He should:)

No comments:

Post a Comment