Saturday, September 26, 2009

First Fussball (soccer) Game


Today was a day that I will never forget. I went to my first German soccer game. There were 39,747 fans making their way into the Kaiserslautern Stadium, when it dawned on me that I had never in my whole life seen this many police dressed in riot control gear in my life. I then asked the people I was with, “why are there were so many police in swat gear.” By their tone their response was supposed to bring a comforting answer, they said, “because last time these two teams played there was about a 1,000 or more people fighting each other.” I responded with, “oh ok”, but my thought in my mind was, “great first game I pick to go to, I end up being beat by 10 opposing fans who hate me because I am wearing red, and end up in the hospital.” Of course the worst possibility goes through a Rudolph’s mind whenever we enter a new situation. As soon as I entered the stadium I got chills. The fans were going crazy; chanting cheers for their teams, waving flags, and holding up their scarves in their teams honor. I got caught up in all the cheering that I started chanting whatever it was they were, but with no real words, just sounds as if I fell down a flight of stairs. Then a thought hit me and went through my mind the whole game; what am I using my energy and life for? I love to watch my favorite sports teams, and get very into the games. I give all this emotion and energy for something I am really not even a part of, I am only a spectator watching others play. The thing I am apart of is the church. I am Christian and I am a participant in life. I am to live my life for Jesus Christ and count the cost to follow him wherever he asks me to go and do whatever he asks me to do. The question then is; what do I give all my energy for the thing I am actually a part of or the things that I am just a spectator in? I thank the Lord for the Gospel, and for making it possible for us to give our lives back to him as a spiritual sacrifice, so that we can give it all, because He gave it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment