Friday, September 11, 2009

Making progression!


We are highly encouraged after just four quick days here in Kusel. With a driver mentality, I love this!:)
We have completely painted three of our fours walls ORANGE, moved our furniture, applied to and just about clinched two great jobs. We have yet to finalize those, but the opportunities were very widely open for us, which was not necessarily expected.

We have learned a bit more of this beautiful area, which is always a mind easing activity. We love it more here day after day, as Kusel is a big town/small city feel altogether. Everything you need right at your foot, yet a drive one mile outside brings you to the hilltop overlooking the villages and as I said before, even a castle! We've got great running/biking/walking trails that go for miles, and very safe!
Rich points out Im so easily excited by these little things, but come on we're from the US where it seems much less exciting. Sorry friends, you'll just have to visit us to see this! Although I know the goal in life is not to be ultimately satisfied in your own comfort and enjoyments, I do believe the Lord changes the desires of your heart to become like his- so likely where He puts us when we are seeking Him we WILL enjoy- not matter what or where.

One of the greatest things about being here in a German church and less English speaking area, is our daily communication which turns into much laughing. It's like playing one of those games when you can't use the word you are describing, because you literally don't know what that word means, or visa versa. We have to use our descriptive abilities with those who know English yet still don't know all words, and with those who don't know much at all, we are stretched very much to think through all our vocab to paste together something to make sense. It helps to have those who speak both fluently help us translate when we must, and when they speak together we are able to listen as though skimming the page of a book, while catching several words and getting the gist of it all.
Many times Rich and I smile and nod as we try to think through what just happened. It keeps our attention in check for sure, as if you zone out you will really lose it. But we really encouraged, and love the laugh it brings when figuring out new things.

Our friend Adrian took us to discuss our jobs with the Army base today and spoke mostly German with us, which was awesome. We just went to drop off our applications but had to return so we stayed awhile at an eis cafe (ice cream shop), read, and translated the German newspaper with Adrian while Rich took notes in his new little notebook he now carries everywhere with him, and I got rescued from the bathroom from the man I ordered coffee from. He expressed in his broken English that he thinks I am a girl, and I agreed after realizing this and turning around myself. I'm not sure if his comment was actually "broken" English, or if he was just being sarcastic in stating "I think you are a girl." I'm not too worried about my misttaking people of this however.

Adrian also spent most of the day with us painting our apt this week. My favorite conversation that day was asking him for a hose, of which after him not understanding this word we went into describe it as "a long tube/rope with "sshh" water coming out?" He was so confused. This is just one small example of how silly it all sounds- but we love it. Glad we can laugh!

1 comment:

  1. I loved reading your update- it sounds so fun and exciting! I can't wait to read about your ministry opportunities as well. I love the orange walls- what fun! I look forward to seeing the finished project. What are the job opportunities ya'll are considering?
    Sue

    ReplyDelete