Thursday, October 15, 2009

Detour


So as far as yesterday went, I hadn’t yet the opportunity to get lost in my new surroundings. I’ve always had ONE really frustrating experience each time I’ve moved, to discover roads that I’d rarely have taken on my own accord. Yesterday I made the notion that I’d wait to use the autobahn, and now day two of holding a new license, there was actually no way around it. After dropping Rich off for work, and thinking I had the whole morning to accomplish “my” agenda, I was thoroughly enjoying the breathtaking scenery of roads that are only suited for car commercials exposing the luxurious facets of the cars only our idolatrous eyes may gaze upon.

Well lo and behold, I had my first opportunity to encounter the new signs I now had to remember, and discuss the ‘Umleitung’ options with my fellow German roadmen. Whether I’m the new and ignorant American, or these Germans played a prank on me, I spent another involuntary hour in the car finding my way back to where I came from, and going in a huge circle until after three more people giving me directions for this detour, made my way more clear. Rich later said it sounded like a child’s storybook, as before I made it home I had come into contact with a construction worker, a store clerk, a taxi driver, and a ‘polizei.’ He also comforted that only this would happen to me, of which I believe is true. As I listened to the only CD we have in our little five gear auto, the words were quite ironic coming from the lips of David Crowder “just you and I,” referring to God and myself. It was true, a time to spend with Him that was unexpected, and the glory He’s adorned Himself with reflected in His creation of this beautiful country was the only redeeming factor to my madness.

I was able to observe the fall leaves that colored together reminded me of the frozen combination of peas and corn that I hated so much as a child. Random humorous circumstances can all too often turn out for our betterment, should we choose to see them that way. I must DAILY drop my agenda, not let the devil win in my anxious heart which fights for my own way or the highway, and let what comes, come as it may. I only feared my hubbie’s awe struck face were to tell him of the gas I wasted, but then again as our dear friend Michael here always remarks with a smirk; “Rich, what is the main point of ‘Calvinism?’ and to which Rich responds, “God’s sovereignty.” I told Rich if one of the greatest things we learn, relearn, and or remember from this internship with Michael is this ongoing reminder of God’s hand in our life, then we will look back with a smile and be all the more better for it:)

1 comment:

  1. Check out my blog post from August 15, 2007. ;-) (By the way, it's spelled "Umleitung".)

    ReplyDelete