Sunday, October 4, 2009

Throw me over board


I would call myself the Jonah of sports. It was because of Jonah that a beautiful day for sailing turned into a horrible storm. When they realized that it was Jonah who brought these troubles to their ship they threw him over board. The reason I call myself the Jonah of sports, is not the fact that since I have started being interested in sports at a young age, I have never seen any team I like win a championship or have a successful winning percentage. The reason I deem myself the Jonah of sports, is because my effect on the fussball club team we live by. I went to one game and we won, which put us in first place. It was after that game that I became more interested and to paid closer attention. Today they had a game against the worst team in their league. It would be like UNC playing North Carolina technical school. It was supposed to be a very easy win. We decided to go to the local doner kebab place to watch it. They have a great sign out front that is made out of cardboard that says, “every goal, every game” written in black magic marker. We knew we could count on a place like this to catch our beloved Kaiserslautern. As we strolled in, the regulars one by one followed in and sat in their usual seats. They ordered what they probably always order and started smoking their cigarettes so that we could take away 3 months of our lives from the second hand smoke. The game started and I kid you not within the first 17 seconds the other team scored a goal. We were in shock and at that point, I knew it was me. This city had never seen something like this, so I stood up and shouted for them to throw me out of the restaurant and into the river because it was my fault! They picked me up and did as I asked. I’m just kidding, but seriously they did. The team came back and tied the game. It ended in a tie, but the curse of Rich’s teams lives on. It was a great experience to enjoy a game with Micha, Lukas, Janna, and Julia. I am just hoping the German national team does not suffer because of my residency in the country. (and yes that is a picture of my brother in law Luke who use to be a Redskins fan)

No comments:

Post a Comment