Friday, October 9, 2009

Saving my hair...


Today I started my job which was huge! It is awesome to see how God worked out everything and continues to place us where He wants us. Yesterday before I started my job I figured I should go get a haircut. I went to a German place that is owned by a member of our church. This would be my first hair cut here in Kusel and my 2nd one I have ever had in German. For some odd reason there is a theme in my life when it comes to haircuts by people that do not speak English. When we lived in St. Pete, I found a place right by my neighborhood that was a yellow building that said, “hair and nails”. It was a cheap ($7 a cut) Korean haircutting place, that oddly enough sold random pieces of jewelry, dvds, and electronic equipment that looked like it was ripped from people’s houses or car’s. The only words they knew in English were, money, numbers, shorter, or longer, and a couple more that were random. I received one of the worst haircuts of my life there from a man by the name of “Uncle”. He shaved my head and only left the bangs and seemed enthralled at how wonderful it looked. I ended up shaving my head after that one and had to another time when I lived in Scranton (a country of its own). Those times in my past I would feel nervous when I would get my hair cut because I didn’t want to have to “lose” what I had worked so hard for. I was frightened to lose something that would grow back, kinda like Uncle Jesse from Full House, loving my hair. I have since that time in my life cared far less if they mess up or something goes wrong where I have to lose it all again, because I know it will come back, and if it doesn’t its only hair. Now we look at that idea of protecting our precious hair as silly in over all view of life, because we know it is very temporal. That thought brought me to think about our lives here on earth. If we look at our lives in history they are a mere vapor. This body is temporal and this life time on this earth during your 80 years or however it is, is only temporal. As a Christian we have the hope of eternity spent with Jesus and should continue to think, “to live is Christ and to die is gain”. Why do we make such a big deal about our physical lives on this earth? If it is only temporary why are we not taking our lives and using them and as resources to reach the world for Christ? These thoughts continue to burn in my mind as I read the book, “the Costly Call”. It’s about people reaching the unreached with the Gospel. Some were brutally beaten, forsaken by family, and scared for life. They would say, It was worth it because they wanted to lay hold of the eternal, Jesus Christ. When they had a relationship with Christ their lives changed and they used every resource they had materially and physically to reach the unreached. The song of one of my friends continues to play in my mind when I read the book, “What are you saving your life for”. We have one life here, why not use it for Christ to do something out of the ordinary? (no that is a old haircut I had in the summer)

No comments:

Post a Comment